Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 09:11:27 -0400
From: Bill Gurley <gurley@....chem.utk.edu>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: cracking md5 passwords not working

ram wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 07:47 +0200, Simon Marechal wrote:
>> ram wrote:

>>> Ok can I use john for md5_base64() passwords in any way ?
>> Yes, by converting the base64 encoding into hex encoding. Or you can
>> write your own plugin
>>

> Sorry maybe off topic here , how do I convert base64 to hex. I am
> searching for some perl module .. cant get

I managed to do this a while back in a not-very-elegant way.  First you
should make sure that you have a pretty "clean" file that does not have
any empty entries, and has two columns of usernames and base64 strings.

Then strip out the usernames, so that you have a second file with JUST
the base64 strings.  Then I made a script that works on the file that
just has the base64 strings, converting them to hashes.  The relevant
command is something like this:

perl -MMIME::Base64 -ne 'print decode_base64($_) <string>

Then you have to make a script that puts the uid's back with the hashes
in the same order.  (this is why you don't want any that have blank
passwords in the list.)

Sorry, but I don't have my scripts cleaned up and in a format that I'm
comfortable posting here, but I'll try to do that soon and post it.
Once you have the file with ssha hashes instead of base64, then you can
use jtr on it.

-Bill-