Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 20:00:42 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: macosx-x86-64

Hi,

Mac OS X 10.5+ (Leopard) and Xcode 3.0+ support 64-bit applications not
only on PowerPC, but also on Intel (x86) CPUs - and I've just added the
support into JtR as well.

If you want to try this out and/or help test and benchmark it, please
download the latest revisions of Makefile and x86-64.S (as of this
writing) from here:

	http://cvsweb.openwall.com/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/Owl/packages/john/john/src/

These work as drop-in replacements for the files in JtR 1.7.2.  The new
make target is "macosx-x86-64".

On my MacBook (Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz), this achieves the expected speedup
for DES-based crypt(3) hashes (+11%) and for MD5-based crypt(3) hashes
(+47%), does not significantly affect performance of LM and Kerberos AFS
hashes, but slows Blowfish-based crypt(3) hashes down (-17%).  All of
this was in comparison to the older 32-bit "macosx-x86-sse2" target.

While at it, I've also converted the code in x86-64.S to use instruction
pointer relative addressing - this was required for Mac OS X, but I
applied the change for all operating systems.  This helps reduce code
size, and performance should either remain the same or maybe become
slightly better (because of the reduced code size and thus having more
space in the L1 instruction cache available for other needs).  Testing
on Athlon64 and Core 2 confirms this so far (no easily measurable
change), but I would not mind more benchmarks/reports confirming that
there is indeed no slowdown because of this change on any common CPU.

Thanks,

Alexander