Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 21:13:18 -0600
From: RB <aoz.syn@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: search path for config file

>  No -- this really is above my paranoia level ;)   The main thing I want to
> achieve is that there are no 'obvious' stuff laying around when I finish a
> job.   Mind you the Mac has 'secure' swap turned on (but I have never
> investigated exactly what that does --- time to read the MacOSX security
> guide that Apple release a couple of weeks back :)

It is worth noting that 'secure' swap only means an attacker would
have to acquire your swap before shutting  your machine down - it's
encrypted with a "session" key of sorts that changes at boot, but
doesn't preclude "normal" compromise-level access.

There are also several toolkits available to perform forensic
acquisition of Mac volatile bits (memory, swap, etc.) via firewire &
USB, regardless of screen-lock status.  Only the most paranoid
survive.  :)

Finally, I would advise you to carefully read the compatibility list
for the IronKey.  It has only very recently (in this quarter) received
Linux and OSX support, and even that is beta-level and not completely
supported.  Even though I've seen a lot of successful use out of them
for my Windows co-workers, I don't think I'd bet my paranoia on them
just yet.