Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:13:42 +1200
From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton@...kland.ac.nz>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: search path for config file

First off, thanks for the explanation about the "home directory".  I
suggest that you include it in a HOME file in the doc directory and
have CONFIG refer to it.  I understand why you don't want it in the
CONFIG file.

On 16/06/2008, at 1:52 PM, Solar Designer wrote:

>> I have tried setting the environment variable JOHN but
>> this does not seem to have any effect.
>
> Correct.  John does not use environment variables.
>
> I understand that the "$JOHN" notation in john.conf might be a bit
> confusing in this respect.  Should I replace the "$" with another
> character (what character) or should I enhance the code to actually
> check for environment variable of this name first or is it better to
> leave everything as-is but improve the documentation?

Perhaps a single line comment pointing to the docs....

>> On a side issue I am about to get my grubby mitts on an "IronKey
>> Enterprise" encrypted flash drive and intend to install john on the
>> secured portion of the drive and keep the password files and pot etc.
>> on the normal file section.   That way I should have all the
>> sensitive
>> stuff in one very secure place.
>
> Would you also disable swap on the systems where you do any processing
> of the sensitive files?  Note that you would need to not re-enable the
> swap until you power-off and wait at least a few minutes before
> powering
> back on. ;-)  (The power-on memory test might be bypassed or it
> might be
> non-destructive - it was never meant as a security measure.)  That's
> the
> paranoia; in practice, there are many "natural" mitigating factors,
> which make sensitive data leaks via swap not too likely (especially on
> Linux, which makes relatively little use of swap) - but I do disable
> swap on my computers before mounting encrypted filesystems, and I
> don't
> re-enable it until I reboot.

No -- this really is above my paranoia level ;)   The main thing I
want to achieve is that there are no 'obvious' stuff laying around
when I finish a job.   Mind you the Mac has 'secure' swap turned on
(but I have never investigated exactly what that does --- time to read
the MacOSX security guide that Apple release a couple of weeks back :)

>> If anyone is interested in how this goes drop me a note
>
> I suggest that you simply post a summary to the list.

Will do.

Russell
Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/pkcs7-signature" (2503 bytes)