Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:18:04 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: raw-md5 module improvement

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 07:41:27PM +0200, Bucsay Bal?zs wrote:
> I had some time, so i took a look at the john's raw-md5 module and made
> some improvements.

This is appreciated, thank you!

> http://www.rycon.hu/tools/john-1.7.2_rawMD5_fast.patch

I suggest that you (and others) generate patches to JtR according to
these conventions:

	http://openwall.info/wiki/how-to-make-patches

It should be possible to apply properly generated patches by following
these instructions:

	http://openwall.info/wiki/john/how-to-extract-tarballs-and-apply-patches

Also, why don't you start uploading patches to the wiki? -

	http://openwall.info/wiki/john/patches

Either way, your patch is a candidate for inclusion in the next revision
of the jumbo patch.

> 1000hash:
> new module:
> guesses: 382  time: 0:00:00:34 79% (1)  c/s: 98645K  trying: ...
>
> old module:
> guesses: 382  time: 0:00:01:09 83% (1)  c/s: 52946K  trying: ...

These tests are affected by the fact that JtR is still in "single crack"
mode.  In this mode, the effective c/s rate depends on a lot of things
besides raw hashing performance.  I suggest that you use "incremental"
mode instead and let it run for at least 1 minute (or set MinLen and
MaxLen to the same value).  Also, you could want to have fewer passwords
cracked during your benchmarking run, because processing successful
guesses involves some overhead.

> at 200.000hash the c/s is ~half of this result.

This must be specific to your set of (fake?) hashes and cracking mode
used.  With real-world samples of hashes, the effective c/s rate should
increase as you load more hashes for cracking.

Thanks again,

Alexander