Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:39:45 -0400
From: Bill Gurley <gurley@....chem.utk.edu>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: help with openldap ssha

Greetings:

I've searched the john-users archives on this, and I'm still having
trouble...

I have a server where authentication is done via openldap.  I want to
check for weak passwords, so I've been trying to get set up to use john
to do this.

Openldap uses ssha hashes that are base64-encrypted.  I've managed to
get around all of that using ldapsearch and some clumsy bash scripting,
to end up with a file listing of lines like this:

username:{SSHA}K7q2LHSUwhjkpJHkOZQuDoaYNIkdKjBv

That is, each line has a username, followed by a colon, followed by the
SSHA hash of the password.

I have tried running john on this file, using commands like this:

john --format=ssha test.txt

john --format=nsldap test.txt

I am using john-1.7.2, with this patch:

john-1.7.2-all-12.diff

The patch seems to add support for ssha, although it is for "Netscape
LDAP SSHA".

So far, I have not been able to get any response other than:

No password hashes loaded

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  Is my password file format wrong?

Thanks,

-Bill-