Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 23:43:12 -0600
From: RB <aoz.syn@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John + Boinc

>  My first thought was to deploy one passwd to each PC and let work them for
> some hours.

>  The seconde thought was to deploy the same passwd to all PCs and split the
> range of the wordlist they have to use.

Both of these approaches have been extensively discussed and analyzed
on this list, with very good and clear explanations (most by Solar) as
to why they are bad solutions.  Please use a site like
http://www.gmane.org to research this list's history and find the
posts discussing parallelization.  I could paraphrase them, but a
primary source is always best.

Presuming you have a reasonable LAN between your nodes, your best bet
is still probably the MPI patchset I pointed out earlier.  Please be
aware that clustering an app like this is non-trivial; hopefully
you're familiar with setting up clustered environments.

FWIW: if you're trying to enforce password complexity, doing it this
way is what one might call "the tail wagging the dog" - most LDAP
systems have the ability to set and enforce password complexity rules.