Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 01:02:11 +0000
From: "Andy Stevens" <insomniacpenguin@...glemail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Question about incremental Mode

On 19/02/2008, Norbert Zacharias <zac@...-oldenburg.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>  sadly there are no examples for rules in incremental Mode.

"rules" is misleading since incremental Mode doesn't use a rules list,
at least not in the same sense as the wordlist mode.  Incremental just
tries every possible combination, though you can affect this with some
configuration options.  I believe the order it tries things is
determined by information in the charset file on relative frequencies
of different combinations of characters in typical passwords.

> So i have to ask for
>  a special case:
>  I want to check passwords from 4 to 16 chars containing [a-z24!|&]
>  how will this rule look like ?

How about

[Incremental:Custom]
File = $JOHN/alpha.chr
MinLen = 4
MaxLen = 16
Extra = 24!|&

run using "john --incremental=custom passwords.txt"

The docs do say that the "24!|&" characters will be treated as "less
likely" than those in the charset, but don't really give any more
detail than that.

Andy.
--
http://pseudoq.sourceforge.net/  Open source java Sudoku solver