Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:26:48 +1300
From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton@...kland.ac.nz>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: single character passwords on stdout

HI Folk

Over the weekend I ran a couple of thousand LM hashes through JTR.  I
remembered seeing a whole bunch of single character passwords scroll
up the screen and vanish rapidly off the top.  Later I used --show to
get the cracked passwords but was unable to find any passwords with a
single character.  By this time the start of the output was off the
top of the scroll buffer so I could not verify what I had seen.

What I did find in the --show output were several passwords listed
as ???????X where 'X' was a digit or uppercase char.  I'm guessing
that these were what I briefly glimpsed disappearing off the screen
and represent the second hash from an 8 char password  which JtR
processes separately.

Correct?

Russell