Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 17:51:58 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: HMAC-MD5 (was: What type of passwords does john crack?)

Steve,

Please try to make fewer postings - like, don't post until the end of
your "work day" such that you don't "flood" others with your "progress
reports" and general whining, which most members of this list are not
interested in anyway.

Please always try to make your postings and/or likely replies to them
useful to at least some other members of this list.

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 08:05:48PM -0500, Steve ...... wrote:
> ... I was looking at the hmac patch for john but its only for
> version 1.6.3 or whatever it was and im using the newest john so I think im
> out of luck there..

The patch at:

	http://www.banquise.net/misc/patch-john.html

is for version 1.6.38, which you can download from:

	ftp://ftp.openwall.com/pub/projects/john/historical/

However, on the banquise.net web page above, there's also the "current
tree" link, pointing to Simon's "myjohn.tgz" tarball.  This is an entire
source tree for JtR with Simon's additions, so if you use it, you do not
need to download anything else JtR-specific.

There's nothing to prevent you from downgrading to a version of JtR that
matches the patches that you'd like to use.  Also, you can use different
versions of JtR for different tasks (e.g., with different hash types).

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15