Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 20:41:55 +0000 (UTC)
From:  helleye <jameskond@...mail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject:  wordlist mode improvment maybe

hi
wordlist.c

while (fgetl(line, sizeof(line), word_file))
fgetl get a line until \n or EOF

if we make a tool to present wordlist in a lil other way
example:

abc1
abc2
abd1
abd2

we will present as
(assume no spaces in the original wordlist)

ab 4
c 2
1
2
d 2
1
2

so when we read the new wordlist , we will need to read 8 chars total,
updating just the new chars
(not counting crlf counters and spaces , but i think it will worth it on real
sorted wordlists) ,instead of 16

you think it will improve speed ?

maybe can present wordlist as

2ab4(read 2 chars fixed 4 times)
1c2 (read 1 char fixed 2 times)
012 (read single chars fixed 0 times)
1d2
012

to read less chars from wordlist file

* also saw that some encryptions use update function and final function
where update add some string and final make the final hash
does des use it also ? if so , can we save a progress of it lets say
when 7 of 8 chars are already there then just update it with the final char
to save time ? (and if yes does jtr already does it ?)

thanks
helleye