Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 09:16:58 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re:  question about charsets

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 09:12:07PM +0000, helleye wrote:
> can you give an example please on how it use
> length + fixed pos + char count ?

I don't think I can easily provide any example better than what you can
obtain by simply running "john -i --stdout" and comparing the output
candidate passwords against messages written to john.log.  If you have
difficulty matching these two, you can introduce delays into the code,
e.g. with a loop in an external filter(), or patch the code.

> i guess that if i understand the example i would be able to calc the
> statisticts easier also

You appear to be trying to duplicate this stuff first, then enhance it.
This is a fine approach if you want to fully understand how things work,
and this is great, but you seem to have difficulties with it and you're
trying to make me "do your homework".

So my advice is that you do the "homework" yourself (best), or you give
up on figuring everything out and simply enhance the existing code
(which is straightforward to do for the specific potential improvement
that you've mentioned), or you give up completely (not great).

Good luck!

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15