Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 18:14:46 +0200
From: "Marti Raudsepp" <marti@...fo.org>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: What type of passwords does john crack?

On 1/25/08, Steve ...... <lynx.9595@...il.com> wrote:
> Hey Im kinda confused as to what type of passwords john cracks?
> It has the option MD5 but yet if I put (what i think is MD5) into a file but
> didnt come from a passwd file it doesnt crack them..

You need to prefix them with the username and a colon, sort of like
/etc/shadow i.e.:

root:247a3993f32ffc44556b20bc951de6cb
user1:c5e60c3af1d2361d6848e5aea666102b
user2:jamZ4RyrrWDLw

The additional data in /etc/passwd could also improve password
guesses, but it's completely optional.

(P.S: try the documentation first)

Marti