Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 22:06:39 +0100
From: websiteaccess <websiteaccess@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: vowels rotating

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 23:41:06 +0300, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 08:26:08PM +0100, websiteaccess wrote:
>>   Today I would like make a rule able to change all vowels (aeiouy) in
>> a word by an other one (aeiouy).
>>
>>  For example :
>>
>>  "canape" become :
>>
>>  canapa
>>  canapi
>>  canapo
>>  .... until
>> cynepo
>> cynypy
>
> JtR's wordlist rules are not well suited for this task, not even with
> the preprocessor.  You're better off using a Perl script instead - or
> you may re-consider the task.  Why try all of those combinations?
> I think that most passwords that may be found in this way would also be
> found by merely replacing any one vowel with another one.
>
> Anyway, here's an example of how wordlist rules can be (ab)used to
> implement what you want, for lengths up to 3 and only considering the
> five characters [aeiou] as vowels:
>
> =0?vo0[aeiou]Q
> =1?vo1[aeiou]Q
> =2?vo2[aeiou]Q
> =0?vo0[aeiou]QM=1?vo1[aeiou]Q
> =0?vo0[aeiou]QM=2?vo2[aeiou]Q
> =1?vo1[aeiou]QM=2?vo2[aeiou]Q
> =0?vo0[aeiou]QM=1?vo1[aeiou]QM=2?vo2[aeiou]Q
>
> For greater lengths and for 6 "vowels", this list of rules quickly
> becomes too long and too slow (each rule would be rejecting most input
> words as not "belonging" to that rule).  So, while in theory wordlist
> rules can do this, they're not really up to the task in practice.
>
> --

 Thanks for your reply.

 I have tested your rules. it dosen't work.

 Create a wordlist, with the word "canape".
 Add your rule
 TRy to crack this hash (raw-md5) user:96f81f82b6783fd01dcebb120930bbb5

 unable to get success (96f81f82b6783fd01dcebb120930bbb5 = cunope )

 Why I want this kind of rule ? when you try to crack hash, you don"t
know if hash is only letter or letter+digits
 by default, I do "-i:alnum". It take much time then rule the rule I
would like.

 Regards,