Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 17:17:09 +0100
From: "Tom Earp" <sysadmin@...p.abelalways.co.uk>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Incremental mode limited to 8 character words?

yeah i've read good things about the way jtr's incremental mode operates,
hence why i wanted to make use of it. also jtr is free

i've seen that post about the 16 digit generation....but it doesn't really
help. modifying the source for that application reduces the character set
from the full set of printable characters to just numbers, so increasing the
output length keeps it within the "64 bit limit" as described in the source

from the source.......... (params.h)

/*
 * Charset parameters.
 * Be careful if you change these, ((SIZE ** LENGTH) * SCALE) should fit
 * into 64 bits.  You can reduce the SCALE if required.
 */
#define CHARSET_MIN			' '
#define CHARSET_MAX			0x7E
#define CHARSET_SIZE			(CHARSET_MAX - CHARSET_MIN + 1)
#define CHARSET_LENGTH			8
#define CHARSET_SCALE			0x100

if i change charset_length to 16 and change nothing else, it compiles, but
then when i try to create a new .chr file i get the error "pow64of32()
overflow"
i have tried adjusting the charset_scale value to something lower, but it
had no effect and i still got the overflow error

i do not understand what the comment means when it says the value determined
from ((size*length)*scale) should "fit into 64 bits"??? obviously there's
some sort of calculation going on somewhere, but i don't know a great deal
about C so this is all going over my head somewhat

if i implement an external mode in jtr, will it generate the words in a
simple brute-force way, or will it still do the business of creating better
combinations like it does with the incremental mode?