Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 07:24:03 +0000 (UTC)
From:  -.-PhanTom-.- <phantom_otw@...oo.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject:  Re: Potfile size limitation?

Solar Designer <solar@...> writes:

> I assume, you mean 1.6.39?  Are you able to reproduce the problem with
> 1.6.40?

Yes, same problem with 1.6.40. 1.6.39 does not have this problem

> That's quite a lot.  How much RAM and swap does your system have?  How
> much does the "john" process use just before it crashes?

2 Gb RAM and 2 GB swap. John-exe uses aprox 700 Mb RAM and equal size VM in
the 7 seconds it lasts before the error occurs:
"8 [main] john 1128 handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
402 [main] john 1128 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to john.exe.stack
dump"

> Anyway, it is more likely that the problem is related to a specific
> john.pot entry rather than to the file size.

Is there anyway to trace what this entry might be then?

> I'd be of more help if you reproduce
> the problem on a debugging build of JtR (add "-g" to both CFLAGS and
> LDFLAGS, remove "-s" from LDFLAGS) while running under gdb, then type
> "bt", "i r", "disass $pc-20 $pc+20" in gdb (and post the output of these
> commands in here).

I don't think I understand what it is you want me to do....?
"while running under gdb"??