Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 23:12:16 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JTR Vs PasswordPro

On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 07:58:33PM +0200, websiteaccess wrote:
>  Did you do some speed test with PasswordPro ?

I recall that someone on this list (Alain Espinosa?) did.

>  I did, It seems 3 X faster. (JTR = 2 000 000/s   Passwordpro = 6 000
> 000/s)

As I'm sure you understand, the above is not sufficiently informative.
(Please think twice before you post.)

You need to mention these things:

- hash type;

- whether it was a synthetic benchmark (e.g., "./john --test") or a real
world run - separately for each program;

- number of loaded hashes and different salts (if applicable);

- duration of the runs, cracking mode, whether any passwords got cracked
(if applicable);

- JtR version (and any patches) and PasswordPro version;

- CPU type, clock rate, and OS;

- if multi-core or multi-CPU, whether multiple threads or instances were
run (I don't know if PasswordPro includes built-in support for that, but
it might - so be sure to check your CPU usage).

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15