Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 13:15:28 -0400
From: Gavin Westermann <gwestermann@...ornet.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Need help appying a patch to john 1.7.2

>You've never mentioned what OS you're doing this on (try "uname -a").
>Maybe your "patch" command is simply non-working or more limited.  You
>might want to try with GNU patch, or on a system that provides GNU patch
>out of the box.

Thanks Solar Designer, it was the version of patch itself that was on
the machine. I installed GNU 2.5.4 and that solved my problems.

e220r% /usr/local/bin/patch -p1 < john-1.7.2-mscash-alainesp-4.1.diff
patching file src/Makefile
patching file src/john.c
patching file src/loader.c
patching file src/mscash_fmt.c