Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 22:05:15 -0400
From: Erik Winkler <ewinkler@...ls.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: New NT patch

On Mar 8, 2007, at 5:06 AM, Alain Espinosa wrote:

> Revision #5
>
> - Now passwords are trying in blocks of lenght 40-64. This speedup the
> performance (not in the benchmark, in the "real" c/s),particularly  in
> the incremental mode with near a 30%.
>
> - Add SSE2 code with a speedup of 20% over C code. Note that "plain"
> SSE2 code are a little bit bad that C code because the emulation of
> the rotate instruction that dont exist in SSE2 (gcc are smart enough
> to produce rotate instruction in the C code). The speedup is because i
> intermix SSE2 code with x86 code trying 5 passwords in parallel.

I am seeing the following benchmark under MacOSX and with 2.33 Ghz
Core2 cpu.

./john -test -format:NT
Benchmarking: NT MD4 [SSE2 5x]... DONE
Raw:    13612K c/s real, 14764K c/s virtual

The original patch produced the following benchmark:

./john -test -format:NT
Benchmarking: NT MD4 [Rapid NT MD4]... DONE
Raw:    6148K c/s real, 6405K c/s virtual

Is the large benchmark speed increase real?