Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 20:51:05 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: running in the background and on SMP

On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 05:20:50PM -0800, Dexter Genius wrote:
> Sorry about the quoting :)

Yet you did it again - you've quoted my signature and even the
unsubscribe notice.  Please try to quote only relevant context.

> john doesn't have built-in support for lunching in background

This is trivial to implement for Unix-like systems (or even with Cygwin),
but I see little need for it.  Is typing an "&" at the end of your
command any harder than passing, say, a --background option, and why?

OK, I can add the typical "daemonize" code that would include setsid()
and detaching from a terminal.  I can also have John omit any terminal
interaction (other than by having it go to /dev/null) when run in this
mode.  This would be a minor improvement.  But it would be specific to
Unix-like systems and Cygwin.

> ( and staying there when terminal is closed )

As I have explained, John _does_ have this feature.  Did you read my
response at all?  It feels like you did not.

> And about that SMP, is it at least on the TODO list ?

Yes, it is, although in a more generic form.  It's been on TODO since
1997.  As you can see, I am not spending much time working on JtR lately.
We'll see if I can change that, maybe with the help of JtR Pro.

> I wish I could help ( I guess I can help with testing ... ) but
> I'm not so great as a programmer ( Just started learning C/C++ so I just
> know some basic/rudimentary programming ).

Thank you for not trying to help with this - too many people did. ;-)

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15