Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 13:12:36 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: how to find a password of 16 digits

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 01:05:51AM +0100, Johnny wrote:
> It might be better to let JTR look for the password in a more random way and not in a chronological order from 0000000000000000 to
> 9999999999999999. Is this possible to compile for JTR? The chance to find out to right password might be better,

Trying candidate passwords in a random order (whatever that means) is
most likely not any better.  Neither order is known to correlate with
probabilities for each candidate password being the password that you
search for.

However, yes, it is possible to specify another (more complicated)
external mode that would try the candidate passwords in a different
(e.g., pseudo-random) order.

> but if the log file
> of the checked passwords reaches my hard disk limit, everything was a waste of time.

JtR does not log checked passwords.

> - However, it is my risk but maybe the only way?

You're out of luck with this.  The search space is just too large.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar