Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 18:31:05 -0600
From: "Paul Battenfield" <>
To: <>
Subject: NTLM hash cracking given already cracked LM hashes

OPPS! The problem was between the floor and the keyboard. More specifically
I have two john.conf files.

I picked the wrong one when I made my changes. Edited the right one and
BINGO it cracked! The normal wordlist rules did the trick on all
alphanumeric passwords but not the special character '*'.

Now I'm trying to write a script to swap back and forth between the normal
and NT wordlist rule set in the john.conf file so I can LM hash, and then NT
hash the resulting set. If you know of a way to pick the config file at run
time, or pick another rules set for using wordlist then that would be a more
elegant solution.

Thanks for you help and awesome software.

Using john 1.7.2 with the big patch for NT Hash on Knoppix

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
1:12 PM