Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 04:30:33 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: New NT patch

Regarding john-1.7.2-ntlm-alainesp-2.diff:

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 11:20:42AM -0800, Alain Espinosa wrote:
> New version
> -bugs fixed and all recomendation taked
> -little improve. Now benchmark 6300K

This one is better, but a few problems remain:

- you haven't merged the options.c hack; I did not mention this to you
before, but it is needed for "--show --format=nt" to work;

- the get_hash_[12]() and binary_hash_[12]() functions are still wrong -
you do not need the right shifts, but you should have these functions
return 8- and 12-bit hash values, respectively.

Some potential improvements:

- the code is for 32-bit little-endian only (this is documented in the
comment) - it is trivial to make it work on x86-64 as well, you simply
need to replace all instances of "long" with "int" (tested, works);
other architectures might require more work (I am guessing that the code
is also dependent on unaligned accesses - although I did not verify this);

- you might get some minor speedup by having get_key() extract the
password back from md4_buffer - then you do not need to have set_key()
save the password in saved_plain;

- I don't think you've used a substantial amount of my code (it's just
the "formats" framework) - how about placing the NT_fmt.c file in the
public domain (with a comment to that extent) rather than having it
GPL'ed? you do not need to credit me in this source file to avoid any
concerns that the GPL might apply.

Indeed, you've also reused some of my ideas, but ideas are not code. :-)

Thanks,

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15