Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 17:03:49 +0100
From: regenrecht@...pl
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: IPB2 and exotic SALT

websiteaccess wrote:

>  Usually, in JTR, syntax for IPB2 format is user:$IPB2$SALT$HASH
>  But this time, I have SALT with only 4 digits

Just to make sure; did you check correctness of bin2hex conversion?

>  when I run in JTR ./john -format=IPB2 -i:digits -pass.txt
>  I have the following message: "No password hashes loaded"
>
>  What is the syntax for this kind of 4 charaters SALT ?  Is there a
> IPB2 format ?

Hm. Well. Are you sure the data comes from *IPB2* table? That would be quite strange, because I've got here 140 accounts from IPB2 and according to this length of salt is always 5-char.

Don't forget that every BBS will probably have it's own way of storing users credentials (for example: vBulletin uses 3 bytes).

cheers,
michal

(sorry for not following the thread - I've got some technical difficulties here :P)