Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 12:14:03 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: word length rules

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 12:36:10PM -0500, Raymond Geiger wrote:
> Now, I KNOW this pw is probably at least 12 characters...  Does Salt SHA1
> shrink it down to 8, or does it support longer passwords?

The latter.

> Am I wasting my time trying it with the default length parameters?

It depends on how sure you are that the password is longer than 8
characters (you wrote "probably").

> Should I run john in a different mode than incremental,

If you're sure that the password is longer than 8 characters, then yes.

> or do I need to split the hash,

You can't split this hash.  For the few hash types that allow for that,
JtR does it on its own.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar