Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 12:36:10 -0500
From: "Raymond Geiger" <alafiawe@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: word length rules

Greetings, JTR gurus:

I've got a password that I'm pretty darn sure is ~12 characters in length,
and attempted to set the MinLen and MaxLen parameters to 8 and 14,
respectively in john.conf.  For those of you who aren't Newbs like me, you
probably
already know that won't work.

I get this message after the hash (Salt SHA1) is loaded:

quote
MaxLen =14 exceeds the compile-time of 8

There are several good reasons why you probably don't need to raise it:
-many hash types don't support passwords (or password halves) longer
than 7 or 8 characters;
- you probably don't have sufficient statistical information to generate a
charset file for lengths beyond 8;
- the limitation applies to incremental mode only
unquote

Now, I KNOW this pw is probably at least 12 characters...  Does Salt SHA1
shrink it down to 8, or does it support longer passwords?  Am I wasting my
time trying it with the default length parameters?

Should I run john in a different mode than incremental, or do I need to
split the hash, and if so, how do I do that?

Thanks