Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 08:46:16 -0500
From: Chris.McGinley@...gard.com
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: pwdump2 and JtR - problem with syntax in running JtR and
 displaying passwords

Hviti,

Based on the hashes you provided -

Admin:500:aad3b435b...:12ed...:::
Account:1010:aad3b435...:d76...:::

The first hash that I see, starting with aad3b... looks to be a NO
PASSWORD situation meaning that the storage of LAN Manager hashes is
probably disabled in the security template for the system. You need to
specify the correct format to john like so:

john -format:NT passwords.txt

Keep in mind, this format is case sensitive and will take longer to crack
than a LAN Manager hash.

-Chris

Hviti/Spaki <fkhviti@...oo.com>
01/03/2007 02:06 AM
Please respond to
john-users@...ts.openwall.com

john-users@...ts.openwall.com
cc

Subject
[john-users] pwdump2 and JtR - problem with syntax in running JtR and
displaying passwords

Hi,

I'm having problems using pwdump2 and JtR on an account with admin rights
on a WinXP computer and would appreciate it if anyone could help.

I downloaded both programs and unzipped them to C, opened the command
prompt then:

typed in "cd C:\pwdump2", hit return
typed in "pwdump2.exe", hit return

saw a list like -
Admin:500:aad3b435b...:12ed...:::
Account:1010:aad3b435...:d76...:::

at C:\pwdump2> I typed in "pwdump2 > passwords.txt"
copied that file from the pwdump2 folder to the folder C:\john1701\run

went back to the command prompt and typed in "cd C:\john1701\run"
at C:\john1701\run> typed in "john-386.exe passwords.txt"

saw a list like-
Loaded 8 password hashes with no different salts (NT LM DES [32/32 BS])
        <Admin>
        <Account>
guesses: 8  time: 0:00:00:00:00 100% (2) c/s 1127K trying 12345 - MUSTANG

Since this didn't display any passwords, I tried deleting
the files and starting over again, but after:

went back to the command prompt and typed in "cd C:\john1701\run"
at C:\john1701\run> typed in "john-386.exe -i:all passwords.txt"

and got-
Loaded 1 password hash (NT LM DES [32/32 BS])
Warning: MaxLen = 8 is too large for the current hash type, reduced to 7
Warning: mixed-case charset, but the current hash type is
case-insensitive;
some candidate passwords may be unnecessarily tried more than once.
        <Admin>
guesses: 1  time: 0:00:00:00:00 c/s 3276 trying: 2100 - SPACY

I then tried repeating the process with:
"john-386.exe -i passwords.txt"

and got-
Loaded 1 passwords hash (NT LM DES [32/32 BS])
        <Admin>
guesses: 1  time: 0:00:00:00:00 c/s 7952 trying: SERO - SPARS

I've been fiddling around with it for a bit and tried reading the FAQ and
some other stuff on the net and am still rather confused and would
appreciate any clarafication possible.

Thanks for the time