Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 17:40:26 -0800
From: "Alain Espinosa" <alainesp@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: "eleet" (mnemonic) word mangling rules, AFS, making a JtR patch

On 12/24/06, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> You've managed to use one of the worst message Subjects possible, so
> I've changed the Subject on this response.  If you or anyone else posts
> a follow-up on one or more of these topics, please adjust the Subject
> accordingly.

I am new here and i am learnig, sorry.

> There are some rules of this kind in the default john.conf.  They're
> specified for "single crack" mode only, but there's nothing to stop you
> from copying them into the wordlist rules section if you like.  Also,
> the rules can be extended with more common substitutions.

I search only in Wordlist rules. I find there in Single rules now. I
think that this
rules are important enogh to put them in Wordlist rules too. Maybe you put them
in the new version ;).

> What's your "question" on this, though?

I am only sharing the rules.

> If you don't know what this is, then you most likely don't need it.
> However, you may read up on AFS here:
>
>         http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_file_system
>
> (and follow the links).

Perfect link.

> I'm not sure what exactly you're asking for.  Are you fully capable of
> enhancing John to do whatever you need (so you already have the modified
> source code and it works fine) and just need to create a patch file
> according to the current conventions in order for the patch to be
> suitable for placement in the contrib/ directory?
>
> Please explain what kind of a patch you wanted to contribute (adding
> what functionality?), what you already have, and what relevant skills
> you have (C programming, etc.)  Then I and others might be able to
> suggest something.

My mother language arent it english. I try to do the best but sorry if
sometimes its dificult to undestand me.

I am a student of University, 5 year of the Science Computer Career. I am
doing my "Thesis of PreGrade" (What you need to graduate in my country)
so i think i dont have much time to spend to work with John, but like a
student of computer i like to "play" with programs.

I was thinking in inprove the performance of the NTLM patch that is 5-10 times
worse that SamInside (for only 1 hash 10 times worse, for 2 or more 5
times worse)
that is the best performance program that i see. Maybe i cant, but
like i say before
i like to "play" with program and i am sure that i can learn a lot of
things trying to do.

I have experince with C and C++ and 80286 (16 bits) assembler. We do a course
of this languages, but in i programing normally is in C# and sometimes C++.

Thanks for your time
alain