Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 14:54:17 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: "eleet" (mnemonic) word mangling rules, AFS, making a JtR patch

Alain -

You've managed to use one of the worst message Subjects possible, so
I've changed the Subject on this response.  If you or anyone else posts
a follow-up on one or more of these topics, please adjust the Subject
accordingly.

websiteaccess - I've approved your responses for now, but please try to
improve your value-per-message.

On Sun, Dec 24, 2006 at 12:54:00AM -0800, Alain Espinosa wrote:
> 1) Many people choose password with nemotecnics like (substitutions)
> a-->@
> e-->3
> i-->1
> o-->0
> and all posible combination and i dont see this in john.conf rules.

There are some rules of this kind in the default john.conf.  They're
specified for "single crack" mode only, but there's nothing to stop you
from copying them into the wordlist rules section if you like.  Also,
the rules can be extended with more common substitutions.

What's your "question" on this, though?

> 2) What the hell is Kerberos AFS and the UnAFS tool that come with JOHN.
> I dont find doc about it.

If you don't know what this is, then you most likely don't need it.
However, you may read up on AFS here:

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_file_system

(and follow the links).

> 3)I need information on how i can make a contributed patch to john. If
> some of you
> point me to a website or explain to me this in detail i will really
> apreciate

I'm not sure what exactly you're asking for.  Are you fully capable of
enhancing John to do whatever you need (so you already have the modified
source code and it works fine) and just need to create a patch file
according to the current conventions in order for the patch to be
suitable for placement in the contrib/ directory?

Please explain what kind of a patch you wanted to contribute (adding
what functionality?), what you already have, and what relevant skills
you have (C programming, etc.)  Then I and others might be able to
suggest something.

Thanks,

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15