Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 11:10:28 -0400
From: Brian Cuttler <brian@...sworth.org>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John, word list question

Alexander,

Yes, you are correct, not v6 but v1.6 of John. I will try to be
more consise in quoting or provide more complete answers.

We will look at upgrading, but v1.6 has never had any problems and
we have enough work and few enough people that while a performance
ehancement would be wonderful, its not the crux of our problem so
upgrades don't receive the attention they deserve.

I have downloaded the new all.lst and it does seem to preserve the
(erronious) entries that are prefixed with numerics

1 AAD
1 AADEL
1 AADLAND

I may try to find a way to remove the leading numbers but otherwise
the current file I'm using actually has a few additional entries.
I sorted unique both the new all.lst and my current file and find
my file had additional entries and was not lacking any entries.

I will enter my local strings by hand and, upgrade of John aside
call it a day.

Thank you for your help, my mind is much at ease now that I have a
somewhat better understanding of the wordlist files.

						Brian