Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 02:25:55 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John, word list question

Brian,

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 09:41:47AM -0400, Brian Cuttler wrote:
> V6, has worked well for us for quite some time ...

I am assuming that you're answering Nick's question on what version of
John you're running, and by "V6" you mean version 1.6.  If so, I suggest
that you quote just the particular question you're responding to above
your response the next time to make your messages easier to read.  Also,
I recommend that you upgrade to John 1.7+ for better performance, as
well as to be running a currently supported version.  (It's been almost
8 years since the JtR 1.6 release.)

> The pwdlist.txt file contains the following, which looks like a
> text file rather than a hashed file to me, but the leading numeric
> and space in the after about line 20 made me thing this was not just
> a list but contained additional fields.
> 1 AAD
> 1 AADEL
> 1 AADLAND

These lines came from a wordlist distributed as names.hp.gz in various
FTP archives.  This file does use some special syntax (and, no, I do not
know what the numbers mean for sure, although my guess is that they're
numbers of occurrences of the names in some text).  Perhaps whoever has
generated this pwdlist.txt for you combined multiple wordlists from an
FTP archive without much care.

My suggestion is that you replace your pwdlist.txt with all.lst from the
Openwall wordlists collection or, better yet, from the JtR Pro package
(JtR Pro is currently for Linux only, but its wordlist can be re-used on
any OS).  I did review each wordlist that went into the collection
manually, so there should be no occurrences of "encoded words" (that
have not been appropriately "decoded") in the Openwall collection.

Hope this helps.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar