Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 06:21:01 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re:  Re: JTR and os X macintel

Dear Phantom -

Not providing any context is almost as bad as providing too much or
irrelevant context.  Please do include a few lines of relevant context
on your postings, except when you're starting a new topic.

Speaking of the benchmark results posted by "websiteaccess":

Benchmarking: Traditional DES [128/128 BS SSE2]... DONE
Many salts:	1841K c/s real, 1845K c/s virtual
Only one salt:	1532K c/s real, 1535K c/s virtual

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 07:03:23PM +0000, -. -PhanTom-. - wrote:
> Nice speeds :)
>
> I am curious as to wether they are caused by the CPU alone
> (default speed I assume...) or also the OS..... Solar?

This excellent performance is due to the CPU alone.

However, the appropriate development tools have to be available (either
bundled with the OS or installed separately) in order to compile JtR
from source.  Also, for "-sse2" builds, the OS kernel has to be aware of
SSE (to save and restore SSE registers on context switches), so, for
example, those builds won't work on Linux 2.2 or older kernels (without
patches) even if the CPU supports SSE2.

> I was under the impression that the high speeds on Macs were due to the
> G4 and G5 cpus and that the OS had very little to do with it...?

Correct.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15