Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 15:04:27 -0700
From: "Harmon, John SPAWAR" <john.harmon@...y.mil>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: question about incremental mode

When you run john in incremental mode, does it look at one password at a
time, then move to the next one?
The reason I'm wondering is because I'd like to use john to do periodic
auditing of about 1500 user passwords and send warnings to those with
insecure passwords.  When I tested the incremental mode on one password,
I finally stopped it after more than two hours.  I just want to make
sure passwords are reasonably secure, I don't want john to spend hours
on each password trying to crack it.

Now, if incremental mode makes several passes on all the passwords, with
each complete pass taking maybe a couple hours, that may be ok.  I'd
just let it run for a day or two.  But, if it's taking hours or more for
each password before moving on to the next, I'd have to let it run for
months before it got through all 1400 of them.