Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 11:26:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: James Evans <keystroke17@...oo.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Optimized for Cell BE

Hi -- I'm just curious to see if anyone has thoughts
about running JtR on the new Cell Processor. IBM just
released a new SDK for it,
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/cellsw?open&S_TACT=105AGX16&S_CMP=DWPA
I would take a guess that JtR could be optimized to
run very quickly using the Cell's architecture, but I
am far from an expert in this area. So any thoughts or
even wild guesses would be much appreciated! At the
moment, the Cell has not really shipped yet (it will
be in the PS3 as well as a new line of IBM Blades), so
it would be hard to test such code, but many predict
that it is going to be hard to write code which can
fully exploit the Cell. However, I think it may be
easier in the case of JtR (I did see in the code some
mention of AltiVec, but that would only exploit the
core of the Cell rather than its SPEs).

Many thanks!