Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 04:53:11 +0000 (UTC)
From:  Phantom <phantom_otw@...oo.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject:  Compiling jtr in Ubuntu64?

Hey

I finally managed to install Ubuntu64 in Vmware on WinXP.
I compiled jtr - first I tried "make linux-x86-64" ...looked like it compiled
fine, but I can't run jtr...it won't execute.
I also tried with "make generic" - same thing, won't execute.

Beeing a total novice on linux, I am wondering if I "forgot" to install
something to make it possible to execute the john.exe files in Ubuntu64?
Or is the Ubuntu disto not "supported" by jtr in some way?

Secondly, while running "make generic", I noticed that it did some benchmarks
while running... why does it do that? ...Is it to test which code is best suited
 for my CPU and OS?

Regards