Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 03:56:00 +0400
From: Solar Designer <>
Subject: Re: Cracking zip passwords?

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 01:54:09PM +0100, Hari Sekhon wrote:
> Can jtr be used to crack password protected zip files?

Not directly, but you can use it to feed candidate passwords to a ZIP
password cracker.  You would use the --stdout option for that, possibly
redirecting the output to a file or to a named pipe (if the actual ZIP
cracker is unable to read from its standard input).

I have some shareware (non-free) ZIP password crackers listed here:

Unfortunately, these are Windows-only.  A couple of (semi-)free ZIP
password crackers with source code are:

and you should be able to find more with a search engine.

Alexander Peslyak <solar at>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598 - bringing security into open computing environments

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here:

To unsubscribe, e-mail and reply
to the automated confirmation request that will be sent to you.