Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:25:05 +0200
From: "Frank Dittrich" <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: RE: About john.pot

Guillaume Arcas wrote:
>A question to make this point clear (at least in my mind) : does JtR just
>use
>john.pot to store cracked passwords and speed up its searching when many
>users
>have the same password or does JtR also use cracked passwords stored in
>this
>file to build new candidate while searching ?

JtR stores the cracked passwords to avoid calculating
password hashes for passwords that have been cracked.
(This is important if you interrupt a session and restart
it later.
Or if you try another wordlist...
Usually, you want to ignore hashes which have already been
cracked.

The john.pot file *can* be used to create a .chr file for
incremental mode, using --make-charset=FILE.
But you need a *huge' amount of cracked passwords to
produce a a useful .chr file.

(I've no idea on how many cracked passwords the
all.chr ... files included with JtR are based.
But the file size is much larger than the size of
a .chr file based on a few thousands of cracked passwords.)

Frank