Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 20:28:55 +0000 (UTC)
From:  Phantom <phantom_otw@...oo.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject:  Re: Inverted chatsets?

Pietari Kivikangas <JTR1998@...> writes:

> The algorithm opposite to the one used to create the charset file is the
> algorithm used to generate password candidates.

Sorry,I don't understand what you mean by this - could you please elaborate?

> How would you know that? There's no time limit for incremental mode. You
> can potentially get a suitable password candidate in, for example, 5
> years and it will look like these:
> 0065aM>
> 0065aH>
> 0065a >
> 0065aP>
> 0065aB>
> 0065a%>
> 0065a^>

Well, I don't wanna wait 5 years, if I could potetially get them in 2 weeks by
 using reversed frequency tables;)

> By definition, a charset file inverted to the original one is such
> charset which can be used to produce ALL password candidates EXCEPT for
> those which can be produced using the original charset file.

Again, this doesn't make sense to me...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but given that the passwords are "only" using the 95
normal chars, wouldn't all.chr (with normal frequncy tables) also eventually
find all the passwords?