Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 19:42:20 +0200
From: "Otheus (aka Timothy J. Shelling)" <otheus@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: beta MPI john patch against 1.7.2.

Erik said:

> Really makes a difference on the MD5 crunching.  I have tested this
> version of john running against hash files with no success.  While
> the hash crack faster, the master instance of john doesn't shut down
> until I do a kill -9 on the process.  The password is then revealed.
> This might be a bug, but I am not sure.  I am running MPICH.

Like I said, MPICH with RSH doesn't work right when terminating jobs with
CTRL-C. What I do is a "pdsh -a pkill -15 john" and wait a little bit.  jtr
handles all the main signals, and upon getting a SIGTERM (-15) will actually
shut down, but first after saving to the record files after finishing the
current cracking loop. (from what I can tell)

I strongly recommend you getting pdsh if you don't have it.

--
Otheus
otheus@...il.com