Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 19:06:22 +0200
From: "Otheus (aka Timothy J. Shelling)" <>
Subject: Re: Re: beta MPI john patch against 1.7.2.

> OK, but that code is wrong.  You should at the very least consider using
> dup2() instead of dup().

Perhaps you can educate me here, if you have time.  Why is it a bad idea to

save = dup(2); close(2); open("/dev/null"); \
/// stuff
close(2); dup(save); close(save);

> >You can't reasonably speak of speedups/slowdowns by a certain percentage
> > >unless you mention the hash type and the number of different salts for
> > >which you did your benchmarks.

Ok, noted. Then 299 salts and DES-based crypt(3).

> Is there a function which rebuilds the database using the new
> > john.pot file
> I don't think you need to "restart word generation", but you need to
> ensure that you do the database rebuild from outside of loops that
> depend on the database to remain constant.  Perhaps doing it at the
> beginning of crk_salt_loop() is safe, but I did not verify that.
> Indeed, you need to rate-limit this and also check for the database
> possibly becoming empty.

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here:

Iguess I'll have to play with it and benchmark it a few times to see which
was the right solution.