Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 15:21:00 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Compilation error for 1.7x on ppc64-linux

Randy B has posted some benchmark results in the form of a tarball
attached to his message, to which we've received:

On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 02:40:35AM -0700, Hector Attoh-Okine wrote:
> how can i operate this attachment

I'm not sure what to answer.  Should questions from people who can't
"operate" a tarball and who don't know to not overquote be answered on
this list at all?  After all, John the Ripper is a tool for system
administrators who are supposed to know the basics like that.  I'm sorry
if this sounds offensive, but it's the first thought that comes to mind.

OK, tarballs are uncommon on Windows, while John the Ripper is indeed
available for Windows - so it's got some Windows-only users as well, and
that's fine.  Discussing how to extract tarballs is hardly on-topic in
here; however since the question is already posted and since I have to
be posting this message, I can add that one of the many free utilities
to extract tarballs on Windows is 7-Zip:

	http://www.7-zip.org

Randy - I think it would have been better to attach the text files
uncompressed.  They were not that large.  And large files should not be
posted in here anyway (the message size limit is currently set at 40 KB
including headers and encoding overhead).

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598