Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 23:43:35 +0100
From: "jonathan rennie" <jonathan_rennie@...mail.com>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: unrecognized encryption

Guys...

I'm trying to recognize the type of encryption used on ExtremeNetworks
switches.....

example

create account admin "username" encrypted "/64h3c$FQvA67Sp5KOvLlOvT/jF.0"

the command above creates an admin level account called username, and the
hash after is obviously the password hashed...

but i dont recognise the algorithm......and neither does john......even when
i edit the password file to look like this....

username:/64h3c$FQvA67Sp5KOvLlOvT/jF.0

significantly the seventh character is ALWAYS a $, could this $ be a
delimiter of some type, perhaps the first six chars are a random key and the
last chars (after the $) are the result of hashing with the random key (I'm
guessing here)

any help identifying the encryption , most welcome