Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 19:22:51 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: MinGW build (was: Tuning John)

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 02:26:29PM +0200, Michal Luczaj wrote:
> Solar Designer wrote:
> > MinGW build patch, currently available as john-1.7-mingw-2.diff.gz in
> > the contrib/win32/mingw/ FTP directory.
>
> And, by the way, I've tuned it up a little (so now the patch is event
> uglier and dirtier) to support real/processor time measurements. The 3rd
> revision is at
> http://www.pjwstk.edu.pl/~s3443/jasiu/john-1.7.0.2-mingw-3.diff.gz .
> But, of course, no one is sure if it works the way it should ;)

Well, you're still using the return value from clock() to emulate the
return value of times().  According to POSIX.1-2001, clock() "shall
return the implementation's best approximation to the processor time
used by the process ...", whereas times() "shall return the elapsed real
time ..."  So this patch looks wrong to me.

In my understanding, the problem with all revisions of your MinGW build
patch so far is that they report processor times (and virtual c/s rates)
in place of real times (and actual c/s rates).

> Solar, I would be very grateful if you could put this in contrib/ as
> well.

It's there:

	ftp://ftp.openwall.com/pub/projects/john/contrib/win32/mingw/

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598