Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 03:03:28 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Performance tuning

On SSE vs. MMX:

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 12:35:54AM +0200, sebastian.rother@...erlin.de wrote:
> Wouldn`t it be better to benchmark /during compilation) on the CPU itself
> wich kind of implementation performs faster?

This makes sense - and John has been doing that kind of thing in
"generic" and 32-bit SPARC builds.  But this approach also has several
disadvantages.  Most likely, I'll leave it for "generic" only in the
next official release.

> You may benchmarked it on AMD CPUs but also on AMD64-base CPUs?

I've benchmarked the 32-bit-with-SSE code (effectively 128-bit) on
32-bit and 64-bit AMD CPUs.  They behaved almost the same.

Sorry, I did not record the exact CPU types.  If I have a spare moment
for this, I'll re-test and post the results in here.

> (Also P4 != P4.. wich core?

Indeed.  Generally, newer P4s seemed to perform worse with MMX (slower
per-MHz) than older ones did - making the use of SSE more desirable.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598