Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 23:21:03 +0200 (CEST)
From: sebastian.rother@...erlin.de
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Performance tuning

> Sebastian,
>
> You're so religious (this time as it relates to AMD vs. Intel) that
> you've missed my point. ;-)

I and religions...? Never ;-D
But did you ever asked AMD to support more SSE registers? :)

As far as I can see: AMD exspands the SSE registers in 64Bit Mode.
To make a long storry short:

In fact wich stuff from the SSE-Engines do you need?
As far as I can see SSE is 128Bit (not 2x64 like on P4) and it has 16
registers (official Docs, also mentioned in Wikipedia (german version of
the article)).

64Bit registers are:
RAX,RBX,RCX,RDX,RBP,RSI,RDI,RSP

64Bit Media- Floatingpointregisters:
MMX0/FPR0 ... MMX7/FPR7     8 MMX Registers

128bit Mediaregisters
XMM0 ... XMM15             16 SSE Registers

Other registers with 64Bit:
RFLAGS, RIP

So how can 8 64Bit registers outperform 16 128Bit Registers?!

Related to the Co-Processors:

News:
http://www.reed-electronics.com/electronicnews/article/CA6327446.html?industryid=22113

Company: