Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 20:39:06 +0200
From: "thomas springer" <thomas.springer@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: windows passwords now don't work

Alex is right: Lan-Manager was initially developed by Microsoft and
3Com, then in the late 80s licenced by IBM for OS2.
LM-Hashes were used in many Network-Stacks in old Windows-Version
(everything below W95b) and are still stored to keep connectivity with
this Machines (There is a Patch for Win95, but nothing that makes DOS
or WfW 3.11 understand NTLM!).

NTLM-Hashes were introduced with Windows NT

You can tell Windows not to store the LM-Hash by modifying a registry
value or just take a password longer than 14 chars (this doesn't fit
in 2 7Byte-Parts). Windows will then correctly tell you that this
breaks connectivity to WfW, DOS and early Win95-Versions.

tom

--
thomas.springer@...il.com
[nach mir der synflood.]