Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 15:42:18 +0000
From: "jay rubin" <cjride@...mail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: help me understand password cracking

Solar Designer-

Could you help me understand exactly what it is that john does.

In the README for pwpump2 it has the statement:

This is an application which dumps the password hashes (OWFs) from NT's SAM
database, whether or not SYSKEY is enabled on the system.

Okay OWF is one way function.  I really get the feeling that pwpump has
dumped from the SAM database the result of the password after it has passed
through the hashing algorithm.  Or has it dumped the algorithm that was used
to create the encrypted password?  This second option doesn't make sense
because than what would jtr be comparing to it's results.

Now what does jtr do to decrypt the password?  Does john know the hashing
algorithm and just pass every canidate password combination through the
hashing algorithm until it gets one that matches the dump from pwdump2? Or
what?

Thanks again you've been a wonderful help to me.

-Jay