Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 22:57:54 +0200
From: "Frank Dittrich" <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: new at this cracker business

jay rubin wrote:
>Not sure what those other passwords were so I'm not sure I would want to
>change them.

If I were in your position, I for sure would want to find out.

>Are the precomputed rainbow tables  precomputed hashed passwords

Not exactly, but close.
(Search Google for "rainbow tables", and you should find
more tan enough information.)

>Why would my password be change?

Your password wouldn't change just from submitting the hash.
I just thought it would be a good idea to change the password
after publishing the hash.
(Especially if you find out that the website will provide
your password within seconds, which is not that unlikely.)

Frank