Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 10:24:18 +0200
From: "websiteaccess@...il.com" <websiteaccess@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Wordlist and target

> I was saying that you didn't properly define your "challenge", yet you
> started to show the "results".  Would a wordlist consisting only of the
> 255 cracked passwords be a proper winning submission to your challenge?
>
> With this ridiculous example, I also wanted to show that optimizing a
> wordlist for a particular password file does not necessarily result in a
> wordlist which is best for other password files.
>
> --
> Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
> GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598
> http://www.openwall.com - bringing security into open computing environments
>
> Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar
>
> --
> to the automated confirmation request that will be sent to you.

 I understand your point of view.

 My wordlist is optimized for all kind of password files (generated by
people). I have 255 hits with this "challenge" list,
 I have tested with many others password files, I have at least 30 to
50% hits, often more.

 Of course, password like "F5ga26v0" can't be cracked only with my
wordlist. But, if someone has choiced
 his own password, i have all chance to find it fastly.
 My main target are passwords between 6-8 alpha/digits (for example :
CCbill's).