Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 20:41:57 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: problems with umlauts in charset-files

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 10:21:16AM +0200, thomas springer wrote:
> i'd like to point out at this stage that windows even supports
> special-chars like alt-255 as valid char - even when it gets cracked
> this will look like a simple "space".

Yes, there are full 8-bit hash types.  John mostly supports these just
fine.  This limitation of the "incremental" mode in the default build of
John is one of the few issues that do exist.

However, NTLM hashes (MD4-based) use Unicode (UTF-16 or UCS-2? I'm not
sure).  The current contributed patch for JtR for the support of those
hashes only handles 8-bit characters (expanding them to Unicode), but
not any other Unicode characters (are these allowed in Windows passwords?)

> maybe it would be possible to generate a few more charset-files for
> different european languages or even a "all-256-asciis.chr" ??

I don't have sufficient statistical information on passwords which use
characters outside of the US-ASCII set.

If you're OK with not trying these passwords in an optimal order, then
just use an external mode - such as the "8bit" mode from this posting:

	http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.openwall.john.user/414

P.S. I've unsubscribed "Petriman Marius", please do not respond to his
offtopic posting.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar